Through regular dental cleanings and exams, you can keep many dental problems at bay. At J. Russell Danner, DDS, we advise all our patients to undergo a routine dental checkup and cleaning at least once every six months.
What Is Dental Cleaning?
During your cleaning, our dentist will thoroughly remove the plaque and tartar buildup that can lead to cavities, tooth decay, and gum disease. The dentist will also polish your teeth and gently remove surface stains.
Dental cleanings should be performed twice per year or more often if you have periodontal disease or other oral issues.
What Is a Dental Exam?
During your routine dental exam, our dentist will look for signs of common dental problems, such as tooth decay and gum disease. The dentist will also check the overall condition of your teeth, gums, and mouth.
Routine exams are an important part of good oral care and can help the dentist find and treat oral health problems early. Spotting any developing problems and diagnosing them early makes treatment quicker and simpler.
Are Dental Cleanings and Exams Performed Together?
Dental cleanings and exams are performed together. When you visit us for your dental cleaning and exam, we will:
- Remove plaque and tartar buildup on your teeth to prevent tooth decay and gum disease
- Perform an oral cancer screening
- Take X-rays as needed to identify and treat dental issues
- Assess your overall dental health
- Discuss proper hygiene techniques with you
How Do I Keep My Teeth Clean Between Dental Exams?
- Practicing good oral hygiene at home is helpful for maintaining your oral health in between dental exams. Good habits, along with regular dental exams, can help prevent gum disease and tooth decay.
- Brushing your teeth at least twice per day and flossing once can help protect against oral health issues.
- Use a soft-bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste to brush your teeth. You should brush for two minutes, making sure to reach every tooth.
- Brush the inside, outside, and chewing surfaces of each tooth. You should also brush your tongue and the roof of your mouth.
- Floss between all of your teeth. Flossing helps remove plaque from between the teeth that the toothbrush cannot.
At J. Russell Danner, DDS, we offer the best dental care possible to each of our patients in a positive and relaxing environment. If you're ready to experience the best dental care, please contact us at 405-749-1676 or visit us at 4514 Memorial Cir Suite A, Oklahoma City, OK 73142.